The Frostburg State University Center for Creative Writing, in partnership with the Allegany County Library System, is excited to announce that the ninth annual Western Maryland Indie Lit Festival is scheduled for Oct. 14 & 15 at Main Street, Frostburg. The event brings together editors and publishers with writers and educators of the local community. Panel discussions and roundtable sessions include topics on various creative genres, DIY publishing, self-publishing, promotion and marketing, writing local, and reading and writing online.
In the days leading up to the Indie Lit Fest, we've scheduled several kickoff events:
Thursday, October 13:
- Poetry Slam at Dante's Bar (14 W. Main Street). Writers of any experience level are invited to bring self-written poems verbally duke it out for cash prizes. $2 to attend and/or participate. Registration begins at 7:00 PM, and we will be slamming at 7:30. For poetry slam guidelines, check out out Poetry Slam page.
Friday, October 14:
- Indie Lit Kickoff Reading at Main Street Books (2 E. Main Street). Four editors introduce an author their press has published to give a reading. This year's featured authors are Michael Ratcliffe (Free State Review), Mark Brazaitis (Autumn House Press), Margaret Bashaar (Sundress Publications), and Michael Gerhard Martin (Braddock Avenue Books). Reading begins at 5:30 PM.
- Indie Lit Kickoff Reception at the Center for Creative Writing (22 E. Main Street). Meet and greet writers, editors, and other Indie Lit participants over snacks and refreshments immediately following the Kickoff Reading.
- Indie Lit Kickoff Panel Discussion at the Frostburg Public Library (65 E. Main Street). Featured authors/editors from the Kickoff Reading sit on a panel and discuss the author/editor/publisher relationship.
All Friday events are free of charge.
The public is welcome to attend all of these events.
Leading up to the Indie Festival, we will feature interviews and information about participating presses and journalists at the Center’s blog.
Says Gerry LaFemina about the event: "This is a literary arts festival. We're celebrating the writers, the teachers, the libraries, the readers and the publishers, but most of all we're celebrating that fire inside of us that wants to make up stories, that wants to be heard."
Registration for presses is free until July 1, 2016. After the July 1 deadline, late registration for presses is $20. For more information, contact the Washington Street Library at (301) 777-1200 or the Frostburg Center for Creative Writing at (301) 687-4340.
To reserve a table for the Indie Lit Festival, download this year's registration form here and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This year's panel topics include
- Fairy Tales
- Writing Love / Writing Sex
- Arts as Muses
- Publishing 101: A Primer on Sending Work Out
- DIY and Self-Publishing: A How-To
- Ask the Editor
- Building Community: Reading & Writing Groups
- Writing for Kids of All Ages
- Continuing Your Craft: MFA, Writers Conferences, and Other Options
- Speculative Fiction: A Roundtable
- Finding Funding: Grants for Writers and Presses
- Poetry: A Roundtable
- Marketing: Getting The Word Out
- Fiction: A Roundtable
- Creative Nonfiction: A Roundtable